Graduate School of Arts and Social Sciences PhD Scholarship 2019, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
The call for applications for 2019 intake opens on 03 August 2018.
Interested applicants can begin to prepare the following:
- A letter motivating your suitability for this scholarship (no longer than one page)
- A concept note or research proposal for your proposed study (no word limit)
- Identify three academic references, one of which must be your Masters supervisor
- Collate a copy of ALL your tertiary (undergraduate and postgraduate) academic records (transcripts) AND certificates. Please scan and save these documents as one file.
- Provide proof of competency in English; i.e. English language proficiency test results or publications written in English
- A sample of your best academic writing; either a publication or chapter from your Masters thesis (in PDF).
Application and submission process
- Familiarise yourself with the Scholarship application documents, regulations and procedures. See the Application Documents below.
- Download and complete all sections of the application form and prepare or obtain the required documents and references. See the checklist for 2019 below.
- Submit the application and supporting documents to reach the University on or before the closing date. Applications which are incomplete, hand-written and/or where documentation is missing, will not be considered. The application form and supporting documentation should be submitted in a single email.
- Applications should be clearly marked Graduate School Scholarship Application and should be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com.
Application documents for 2019 intake
- SCHOLARSHIP REGULATIONS for 2019
- APPLICATION PROCESS for 2019
- APPLICATION FORM for 2019 intake
- CHECKLIST for 2019 to be completed by each applicant
Scholarship selection process
After the closing date the Graduate School will:
- Acknowledge receipt of the application
- Evaluate each application and draw up a list of eligible applicants
- Circulate the list of eligible applicants to the relevant departments and supervisors
- Draw up a short list of applicants who qualify for the scholarship and who are recommended by the departments. Due to the overwhelming number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be notified via email.
- After consideration by the Graduate School Board, successful candidates will be offered a scholarship in writing and will be required to respond within one week.
- Applicants who do not receive communication from the Graduate School Office by 01 October 2018, should consider their applications unsuccessful.
Stellenbosch University will make every effort to process applications efficiently. Applicants are reminded, however, that the University accepts no responsibility for loss of communication or documents whether sent by surface mail or e-mail, to or from the University. Applicants should therefore ensure that they are contactable during all stages of the application process and should contact the Graduate School in case of uncertainty about the receipt of applications sent by postal mail.